Happy New Year!!!
To kick the new year off right, we’ve started a new interview series that sheds light on some awesome, young, talented & fearless entrepreneurs of color!
We thought something like this could provide some ‘get up & get into it’ inspiration for us all at the top of 2015!
This past year we’ve crossed paths & worked with some inspiring young business owners who are dangerously creative & driven. We tossed a few… interesting questions (lol) their way to get to know them better, and learn more about their passion. Enjoy! 🙂
Vol i. – Brown Sugar Stickers [CHICAGO] Dakota & Sequoia
1. What inspired Brown Sugar Stickers?
Both: Dad pushes to watch news, racism is still apparent. Black women to value themselves. Strong belief in self love. Self awareness as black ppl.
2. What’s your fav brand?
S: Godiva dark chocolate bars , Dakota: Nike
3. Superpowers, what would yours be?
S: Invisible …D: Teleport
4. Where are you from originally?
Both: Southside of Chicago! Englewood…
5. If you could live anywhere in the world, where?
S: Switzerland D: Iceland
6. Fav Eddie Murphy film?
Both: Coming To America
7. What’s your favorite color?
S: Too many to choose… D: black
8. Fav Food?
D: Sushi & S: Indian food
9. Can you cook?
S: I love to bake!… D:But I’m the cook…
10. Last book you read or meaningful quote or poem?
S: Junky by William Burroughs … D: Sin in the Second City: Madams, Ministers, Playboys, and the Battle for America’s Soul by Karen Abbott
11. Cats or dogs?
12. If you were stranded on an island and can take 3 things with you, what would it be?
S: pen, notebook & camera… D: first aid kit, cooking pot, blanket
13. What/ who inspires you to create?
D: Alex Pardee, Banksy, VanGogh.. S: Grandfather inspires me to write
14. One thing you can’t live without?
D: Food …S: Wi-Fi
15. Fav genre of music?
S: I’m pretty eclectic, everything!… D: 90s and early 2000s…anything that sounds good!
16. If you could have lunch w/ a historical figure, who?
S: My Grandfather; was a professor at a school, minister, orator, from India D: Tupac
17. Fav lyric or poem line?
S: “Words are free. It’s how you use them, that may cost you”… D: “I’m in love with something real. it could be me that’s changing!”
18. If you could sing a duet w/ anyone, who?
Both: Amy Winehouse!!!
19. Water colors or oil based?
Both: water colors!!!
20. What is your spirit animal?
S: big black grizzly bear.. D: a bat
21. Last gift you’ve rec’d or given?
S: Book & money!!! D: rec’d a bracelet from sis!
22. Fav curse word?
S: Fuck! …D: Got damn!!
23. Least fav color?
24. Something you would tell your 10 yr old self?
D: Take it slow, and don’t go to a university right after high school… S: Don’t focus on boys!
25. Best thing that happened to you this month?
D: J-O-B!!!! S: Being able to get out more
26. Do you like surprises?
D:.. it depends, good ones! S: Loves surprises!!!
27. Cake, pie or cobbler?
S: Cake … D: Cobbler
28. Last person you retweeted?
S: lyric from coldplay, “Fix You’…D: @SHANExKNOLTON
29. Any causes or movements that you’re passionate about?
D & S: Ending police brutality and uplifting black self awareness
30. Latest/ any new hobbies you just picked up?
D: Making stickers … S: Making lists and completing them
31. If you were a teacher, what subject would you teach?
S: Biology D: Art History or English
32. Where do you see Brown Sugar Stickers one year from now?
Alexia [*ahem*… CHI CITY STAND UP!!!!]
p.s. Sorry, I had to.